Giving 'em the bizniz since 2006

Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Bizniz, Volume 1, Issue 9 ARCHIVE

5/23/06
Against normal protocol, I will begin this week with a movie review. The Da Vinci Code. A cultural phenomenon as a book (50 million copies sold worldwide, not to mention those like me who read it borrowed from a public library) turned into a movie. Ron Howard directed, starring Tom Hanks. The recipe could not have been better. And I think it delivered. Any book to movie adaptation has inherent limits in translatability but I think The Da Vinci Code gets it right. Absolute money cast, fantastic locales, and Howard's gifted eye make this a very good movie. I especially enjoyed the flashback sequences of the historical events cited (particulalry sick was the infamous Council of Nicaea.) The visuals on these scenes are unbelievable. Any fan of the book (or the theory it dilineates) will like the movie. I've talked to several people who did not read the book and enjoyed the movie. It's getting killed critically which only proves that critics are idiots. I could never make it as a film critic. I'm not nearly pretentious enough. Overall, Code is very good, though not quite great. Grade: A-. [Also important to note, I am a christian who is not the least bit offended by the theories raised by Dan Brown and others. In fact, I find them quite interesting.]
The NBA is down to it's Final Four. The Eastern Conference features a rematch of last year's final between Detroit and Miami. The Heat advanced with some hiccups along the way while the Pistons were lucky to stave off the Cavaliers (no thanks to Rash(w)eed Wallace and his idiotic guarantees.) This is a tough call because neither team has exhibited a real identity in the playoffs. Very reluctantly I'm going with Detroit in 7. Out west the sexiest matchup possible is realized, Dallas versus Phoenix. Dallas slew the proverbial dragon, the defending champion Spurs, and have to be riding a surge of confidence. The Suns have had two tough 7 game series' thus far and look like they're playing slightly on borrowed time. I'm a PHX fan and it's a tough call, but I like Dallas, with home court, also in 7. So a Finals match up of Dallas and Detroit is my prediction. I think the confidence the Mavs have after beating San Antonio, on the road no less, is huge. And the Pistons don't seem to be quite right somehow. So here's the shocker: Dallas over Detroit in 6. The Mavs have a superstar in Dirk Nowitzki, scorers all around (Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, the quickly improving Devin Harris) and a good bench. Most importantly, Avery Johnson brings a hard-nosed approach and Finals experience and Dallas' defense is much improved. I know better than to guarantee my prediction, however, unlike certain loud-mouthed Pistons.
All NBA First Team-G Steve Nash, G Kobe Bryant, F LeBron James, F Dirk Nowitzki, C Shaquille O'Neal Second Team-G Allen Iverson, G Gilbert Arenas, G Dwyane Wade, F Elton Brand, C Yao Ming Third Team-G Mike Bibby, G Vince Carter, F Kevin Garnett, F Carmelo Anthony, F Shawn Marion.
On a sad note, it looks as though Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro is off to the glue factory. Wah. I think the only sport dumber than auto racing is horse racing. Are jockeys athletes? Don't the horses do the work? Actually, strike that, auto racing is, in fact, dumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment