Giving 'em the bizniz since 2006

Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Bizniz, Volume 1, Issue 2 ARCHIVE

4/3/06
I adore springtime. It's a time for rebirth and renewal. It is also a time for March Madness (see Vol. 1. Additionally, my prediction for tonight's National Championship game: UCLA, 68 Florida, 62; Jordan Farmar, Most Outstanding;) NBA pre-playoff jockeying, and, of course, the start of the Major League Baseball season. I will look at this time exclusively at "on the field" matters, though, I'm sure I will eventually discuss the ugly issues attached to the game (see Barry Bonds.) By way of prognostication, here are my division and major award winners:
American League: East-Red Sox, Central-White Sox, West-Athletics, Wild Card-Angels
Award Winners: MVP-David Ortiz, Cy Young-Josh Beckett
National League: East-Braves, Central-Cardinals, West-Dodgers, Wild Card-Mets
Award Winners: MVP-Albert Pujols, Cy Young-Roy Oswalt
Playoff Matchups: ALDS- Red Sox over Angels, White Sox over A's ALCS-Red Sox over White Sox NLDS-Cardinals over Mets, Braves over Dodgers NLCS-Cardinals over Braves World Series-Cardinals over Red Sox.
And now by way of commentary, I should like to address a subject close to my heart. As a tried and true fan of the Atlanta Braves, I hear often about the Braves' postseason failures (only one championship) despite winning 14 straight division titles. While this failure is evident, it is important to remember that the Braves are owned by AOL-Time Warner, a company with paradoxically tight purse strings. Year after year the Braves lose top free agents (this offseason they lost the overrated but talented Raphael Furcal) and rely almost wholly upon homegrown talent. Yes, I agree that 1 for 14 is a poor record indeed; if only the Braves still had Ted Turner, the NL's Steinbrenner, at the helm...[did I really just say that?]
Two quick movie reviews over the past several weeks: V for Vendetta. Grade: A-. Very good movie for either the action/effects fan or the analytical/story-following movie goer. And if you're both, like me, it's money. The only real negative was the clicheed and awkward romance between V and Natalie Portmans's character, Evey. The Inside Man: Grade: B. Good movie, more or less. Performances were great (Washington, Foster, Owen) but a convoluted story line and minimal resolution left me unsatisfied. Also, the language was much coarser than advertised. I guess Spike's pissed about the Knicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment