Giving 'em the bizniz since 2006

Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Bizniz, Volume 1, Issue 17 ARCHIVE

7/18/06
I must express my dissatisfaction at the National League. For the 9th straight time (including one tie), the NL lost to the American League in the MLB All-Star Game. The last time the "Senior Circuit" won a mid-summer classic, I was still in high school (1996.) The NL had a 9th inning lead with Trevor Hoffman on the slab but he failed to close the door and the AL pulled out yet another win. I realize sports moves in cycles and the National League will be considered better again at some moment. But for now, as an NL die-hard, it is frustrating to see. Speaking of the All-Star game, I think it it ridiculous to put home field advantage in the World Series on the line. It's great to make the game mean something. But then you need to eliminate the "one representative from each team" mandate. When dudes from the Devil Rays and Royals can impact who wins a championship, something is desperately wrong.
Next, I want to discuss another subject near and dear to my heart, "Chappelle's Show." I've been a Dave Chappelle guy from day one (everyone says that...I remember seeing him do stand-up on MTV's Half Hour Comedy Hours back in the early '90's, son.) And I was the biggest fan of "Chappelle's Show" which was even funnier than his stand-up routines. Everyone loved the show. The Season One DVD was the highest grossing TV to DVD ever. And, then as has been well documented, Dave left the show. Whatever his reasons were he's gone and it looks like he isn't coming back. Recently Comedy Central has begun airing "The Lost Episodes" of the show. Overall, I think they are just OK. Dave himself has said in interviews that "90% of him didn't want the episodes to air." They basically seem like a JV approach to the show, sketches that probably wouldn't have survived the cutting-room floor. But since that's all Comedy Central has, they've put them out. It's bittersweet. On the one hand, there are new episodes of "Chappelle's Show." On the other, they're not very good. But make no mistake, even with less-than-stellar sketches, Dave Chappelle still illicits laughter simply on the basis of his persona alone. I respect the man for doing things on his own terms (but come back anyway!!!) and even when he's not at his best, he's better than anyone out there.
Now a few "Consumer Reviews" (slow week in sports, folks)-first, I must sing the praises of the new 99 cent crispy chicken sandwhich from Wendy's. Their dollar menu has always been money (pun intended) and is only bolstered by this delicious and inexpensive delight. Next, I give props to AXE body wash. I've long been a fan of their deoderant spray and now I'm a faithful user of their body wash. Particularly great is their "Snake Peel", a citrusy body 'scrub' that leaves a dude feeling smooth and sexy.
Finally, after watching the ESPY's this weekend I have to shout out my main man Justin McElwain. He's the autistic kid who scored 20 points in 4 minutes in a high school game. I cannot see that highlight too much. There are a lot of bad stories in sports (Bonds, T.O., etc) but stories like this, as corny as it sounds, makes sports truly metaphoric of life and indeed, worthwhile.
Quote of the Week:
"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing."-Ralph Waldo Emerson.

No comments:

Post a Comment